The New Castle County Police are currently investigating multiple reports of thefts from sheds in the community of Kiamensi Heights.
(Wilmington, Del.-19804) During the early morning hours of Wednesday (1/11) County Police located six (6) sheds with pry marks and damage to the doors in the unit block of Cummings Court. The investigation revealed miscellaneous items were taken from sheds which were located while officers were conducting a canvass of the neighborhood.
Here are a few tips to help secure your property and deter burglars:
- Install outdoor motion-sensor lighting, as most burglaries occur under the cover of darkness.
- Utilize a good quality lock to secure your shed.
- Lock all windows and cover them to stop burglars from observing the contents inside.
- Mark valuable property, including lawnmowers, power tools, and bicycles with your initials or something that you can easily describe and recognize.
- Secure items such as lawnmowers and bicycles to a solid fixed point using a quality chain and padlock.
- Ensure fences and gates to your property are secure and always close them when leaving the area.
We ask that all residents be mindful of their surrounds and report any suspicious activity. Any person or vehicle out of place can be reported by calling 9-1-1 or (302) 573-2800. Citizens can provide tips by visiting our website at www.nccpd.com.
Tipsters may also call Delaware Crime Stoppers at (800) TIP-3333 or visit us on Facebook at New Castle County Police Department. Citizens who currently have the smartphone application are encouraged to use the “submit tip” tab to submit tips. Select a topic by using the “drop down” and complete the tip by “clicking” submit. The New Castle County Police Smartphone Application is free to download and available for all iPhone and Android smartphones.