(Bear, Del.-19701) The New Castle County Division of Police, Traffic Services Unit, have charged Michael Dutton, a 42-year-old Newark man, with vehicular assault in the second degree and other traffic related offenses after he struck an 8-year-old child and fled the scene.
On Thursday (3/2) at approximately 6:50 p.m., police were dispatched to a hit and run collision with injuries to an 8-year-old male child in the area of Cardiff Way and Hazeltine Lane in St. Andrews Addition Townhouses. The child was initially transported to the Christiana Hospital and then later transferred to Nemours Children’s Hospital. He has since been discharged.
The preliminary investigation revealed the striking vehicle was a black sports style sedan. As the investigation continued, detectives identified the striking vehicle as a black 2014 Infiniti Q60.
Detectives located and recovered the vehicle and learned Dutton was the operator of the vehicle at the time of the collision.
Michael Dutton has been charged with the following:
- Vehicular assault in the second degree
- Hindering prosecution
- Operation of a vehicle causing serious physical injury to a vulnerable user
- Leaving the scene of a collision resulting in injury
- Driving while suspended or revoked
- Failure to report a collision resulting in injury or death
- Removal of a vehicle from the scene of a collision
He was arraigned and committed to the Howard R. Young Correctional Institution in lieu of $3000 secured bail.