The selection process for New Castle County police officers is a highly competitive one. A successful candidate must possess:
- Good social skills and general intelligence
- Good powers of observation and memory
- Good judgment
- Ability to understand and carry out complex oral and written instructions
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Excellent moral character and cardiovascular and physical condition
In order to assure that only the best qualified women and men are hired as New Castle County police officers, a rigorous testing process is in place.
Applicants will be permitted to participate in the written test portion of the process provided they meet the following requirements:
- Twenty-one years of age upon completion of their academy training.
- Possession of a High School Diploma or GED recognized by the Delaware Board of Education or its out of state equivalent and one of the following by the date of the written examination:
- Associate’s Degree or at least sixty (60) credit hours from an accredited college or university in which you were enrolled and received a GPA;
- Note: Degrees and/or credit hours must have been earned from an accredited college or university and copies of official transcripts will be required.
- or at least two (2) cumulative years of active military service with the Armed Services of the United States with an honorable discharge and thirty (30) credit hours from an accredited college or university;
- or achievement of the supervisory rank of E5, its equivalent or above at time of discharge, in the Armed Services of the United States with an honorable discharge;
- or a current Delaware Council on Police Training (C.O.P.T) certified police officer with two (2) years full time police experience and thirty (30) credit hours from an accredited college or university;
- or a current out of state certified police officer with two (2) years full time police experience and thirty (30) credit hours from an accredited college or university;
- or five (5) consecutive years of progressively responsible work experience that demonstrate the applicant’s ability to meet the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the position.
- Possession of a valid Class D Delaware driver’s license or its out of state equivalent for at least one year.
- Have not received a Bad Conduct or Dishonorable Discharge if served in the armed forces.
- Applicants shall possess acuity of vision of not more than 20/200 corrected to 20/20 in each eye. The applicant shall have the ability to distinguish between the colors of red, green, and amber; and shall have no pathology of the eyes. Applicant shall also possess acceptable depth perception.
- Citizen of the United States. If naturalized, at least five years documented proof of U.S. residency.formation.
- Good physical and mental condition
While the department will attempt to consider individual circumstances during the hiring process, dishonesty will result in immediate disqualification.