(New Castle, DE 19720) Officers from the New Castle County Division of Police continue to respond to multiple vehicle thefts and attempted vehicle thefts in our communities. Over the last 3 months, officers have responded to 220 vehicle thefts. Officers and detectives continue to investigate these crimes and have collectively made 51 arrests. 44 of the 51 arrested were juvenile offenders.
The Division would like to provide the following reminders to help cut down on this concerning trend;
- Lock your doors. Use the 9 p.m. routine to make sure your cars are secured.
- Remove your keys and spare keys from the vehicle.
- Make sure all windows are closed.
- Park in well-lit areas.
- Park near surveillance cameras.
- Install an audible alarm or motion-activated in-car camera.
- Install an additional tracking device.
- Don’t leave valuables in your car.
- Don’t leave your car running unoccupied.
If your car is stolen, contact 9-1-1 immediately and provide the following information.
- License plate number.
- The year, make, model, and color of the car.
- Vehicle identification number (VIN).
- Any information on tracking capabilities your vehicle may have.