(New Castle, DE 19720) The New Castle County Division of Police is hosting a FREE Hyundai/Kia Steering Wheel Lock giveaway event on Monday, May 15, 2023, from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. at the Paul J. Sweeny Public Safety Building (3601 N DuPont Highway).
To be eligible for this giveaway you must be a resident of New Castle County, have proof of vehicle registration of the vehicle you are driving, and the vehicle must be a 2011 to 2021 Hyundai or Kia with a key start ignition.
This event is due to a recent increase in automobile thefts that involve Hyundai and Kia motor vehicles. There is a concerning new trend nationwide that started through a social media challenge which caused an uptick in thefts of Kia and Hyundai vehicles using USB cables to bypass the ignition. The New Castle County Division of Police and Hyundai Motor America are teaming up to provide free steering wheel lock devices. This event will be first come first serve.
This alone will not completely deter vehicle theft, however, using a wheel lock and following the below tips could prevent you from becoming a victim.
- Lock your doors. Use the 9 PM routine to make sure your cars are secured.
- Remove your keys and spare keys from the vehicle.
- Ensure the wheel lock is properly installed.
- Make sure all windows are closed.
- Park in well-lit areas.
- Park near surveillance cameras.
- Install an audible alarm or motion-activated in-car camera.
- Install an additional tracking device.
- Don’t leave valuables in your car.
- Don’t leave your car running unoccupied.
- Be alert.
If your car is stolen, contact 9-1-1 immediately and provide the following information.
- License plate number.
- The year, make, model, and color of the car.
- Vehicle identification number (VIN).
Any information on tracking capabilities your vehicle may have.
For questions about the event, please call the Community Services Unit at (302) 395-8050.