(Wilmington, DE 19805) Patrol Officers from the New Castle County Division of Police have arrested three juveniles following an investigation into a stolen vehicle. On November 17, 2023, at 9:15 p.m., officers located a stolen white Hyundai Elantra near the intersection of Bonwood Road and Robinson Lane – Wilmington. The car, which was occupied by three individuals, had been reported stolen only one hour prior. Officers attempted to stop the stolen car, however the suspects fled committing multiple traffic violations. The suspects then crashed into an occupied vehicle in the city of Wilmington. Officers arrived at the crash scene and took all three suspects into custody without further incident. The motorist that was struck and all three suspects were transported to a local hospital and later treated and released.
The suspects were identified as
A 17-year-old male from Wilmington.
A 15-year-old male from Wilmington.
A 13-year-old male from Wilmington.
The suspects were transported to New Castle County Police headquarters. They were charged with wearing a disguise during the commission of a felony, possession of burglary tools, theft of a motor vehicle, disregarding a police officer signal, conspiracy in the second degree, reckless endangering in the second degree, resisting arrest, vehicle assault in the third degree, and multiple traffic violations. All three suspects were arraigned by the Justice of the Peace Court 11 and held on secured bail. During the investigation, the suspects bragged about the number of cars they had stolen, and mentioned they stole three that day prior to being stopped by police. Officers are currently working with detectives and officers from other agencies to clear additional cases. As a reminder, please take extra precautions with securing your motor vehicle each day. Specific Kia and Hyundai models are still being targeted due to the viral crime trend.
- Lock your doors. Use the 9 PM routine to make sure your cars are secured.
- Remove your keys and spare keys from the vehicle.
- If using a wheel lock ensure it is properly installed.
- Make sure all windows are closed.
- Park in well-lit areas.
- Park near surveillance cameras.
- Install an audible alarm or motion-activated in-car camera.
- Install an additional tracking device.
- Don’t leave valuables in your car.
- Don’t leave your car running unoccupied.
- Be alert.
If your car is stolen, contact 9-1-1 immediately and provide the following information.
- License plate number.
- The year, make, model, and color of the car.
- Vehicle identification number (VIN).
- Any information on tracking capabilities your vehicle may have.
Crime tip can also be forwarded to:
- New Castle County Division of Police non-emergency number at (302) 573-2800
- Criminal Investigations Unit at (302) 395-8110
- Facebook (IM) “New Castle County Police”
- Crime Stoppers at (800) TIP-3333
- Submit a tip online at http://www.delawarecrimestoppers.com
Tips can be submitted anonymously.