(New Castle, DE 19720) Over the past seven days Patrol Officers with the New Castle County Division of Police have responded to 35 reports of vehicle thefts or attempted vehicle thefts. In those 35 cases, 26 of the vehicles are either Hyundai models or Kia models.
The Division would like to provide the following reminders to help cut down on this concerning trend;
- Lock your doors. Use the 9 PM routine to make sure your cars are secured.
- Remove your keys and spare keys from the vehicle.
- Make sure all windows are closed.
- Park in well-lit areas.
- Park near surveillance cameras.
- Install an audible alarm or motion-activated in-car camera.
- Install an additional tracking device.
- Don’t leave valuables in your car.
- Don’t leave your car running unoccupied.
- Be alert.
If your car is stolen, contact 9-1-1 immediately and provide the following information.
- License plate number.
- The year, make, model, and color of the car.
- Vehicle identification number (VIN).
- Any information on tracking capabilities your vehicle may have
Free steering wheel locks are still currently available at NCCPD Public Safety Headquarters by calling (302) 395-8050.
Also, in response to the surge in thefts, Kia and Hyundai have released software upgrades designed to counter these incidents. These thefts specifically focus on vehicles without push-button ignitions and advanced anti-theft systems. Owners of Hyundai and Kia models are encouraged to visit links below: